Now Koha not only able to send email notification, the system also able to send SMS notifications. We developed a system named to send the SMS notification from Koha to the patrons.
The concept of the Koha iSMS is: –
- Koha ILS will send the SMS content to iSMS Web Management via http post.
- The message will be processed by the iSMS.
- Then a GSM module will be used to send the SMS to the patrons.
The implementation needs the following items: –
- Koha ILS – installed with customized sms module – Local or On Cloud.
- iSMS Web Management System – On Cloud – subscription based.
- iSMS Windows program – Local
- SMS GSM module – Local
- Can send out SMS using @ local system. Local controllable, to increase the privacy protection during sending notifications.
- Manage/ Customize SMS notification at Koha ILS (Tools – Notification – SMS), including setting SMS number on Patron module.
- iSMS Web Management used to record the SMS that are sent out to the end users and able to generate reports.
- User friendly interface and easy to maintain.
Benefit of Koha iSMS: –
- Other than receiving notifications via email. We could receive notification via SMS.
- Spend the one time initial setup cost of software and hardware for local setup.
- Spend only minimum annual subscription for cloud service.
- Monthly spend only an unlimited SMS Sim Card Cost. Celcom provided an unlimited SMS plan with a fixed cost of RM188.00 per month.